Holy hell it’s really cold outside! I am really excited about Winter, but I have this problem, I can make cozy hot-chocolate-memories with my kids because one of them doesn’t like chocolate.
It’s all good though, I dreamt up some alternatives to hot chocolate to try and appease her and guess what!? She didn’t like any of them. LOL – but you guys may.
The first is inspired by a childhood favourite of mine, the Coconut Rough – but it’s sugar-free so if you’re not a sugar-before-bed type of parent, you will like it. The second is inspired by New York Chef Christina Tosi and her cereal milk soft serve. And the last is a true sweet indulgence, enjoy.
1. Sugar-Free Coconut Chocolate
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk
- Cacao to taste (we used about two teaspoons)
- Rice malt syrup to taste (we used a tablespoon)
- Whipped cream to top it
- A pinch of cacao nibs
- A pinch of coconut flakes.
- Heat up your coconut milk in the microwave or on the stove top.
- Add the cacao and rice malt syrup until you have the desired flavour.
- Top with homemade whipped cream and sprinkle on the cacao nibs and coconut flakes.
- If you want a lactose free option just leave off the whipped cream.
2. Hot Cereal Milk
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of cornflakes
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of hundreds and thousands
- In a jug, soak your Cornflakes in the milk for 20 minutes.
- Pour it all through a strainer and make sure to squeeze out all the milk.
- Throw out the Cornflakes and heat up your cereal milk in the microwave or on the stove top.
- Dip the top of your milk bottle in honey then the hundreds and thousands.
- Sweeten your cereal milk with honey then pour it into the bottle.
3. Hot white chocolate and strawberry.
- 1 cup of milk
- 4 few squares of good quality white chocolate
- Strawberry milk flavouring
- Whipped cream
- Lollies (optional)
- Mini marshmallows
- Heat up your milk in the microwave or stove top.
- Add one heaped teaspoon of strawberry milk flavouring and your white chocolate.
- Stir until combined and warm and pop in the marshmallows.
- Pour it into a mug and top it with homemade whipped cream and lollies.