Here is a super cute DIY felt feather garland I made for the little man’s nursery.
Originally I was going to do a black and white nursery but I found a really great chest of drawers that have all these rustic earthy tones through them. I did a bit of a turn around decided to do a more western themed space. I also got given an amazing blanket from Greta’s Handcraft Centre that has similar colours.
DIY felt feather garland
- A thick needle
- Felt balls *you can buy them from Felt Foxes (I love this shop) or make them using this felt ball tutorial
- Cut leaf-like shapes out of the felt freehand. You want to have a bit of a wonky shape as feathers are natural and not too perfect.
- Haphazardly cut some slits and wedges up the sides.
- Lay the ‘feathers’ and felt balls out on a flat surface in the order you want them to be on the garland.
- Thread the length of wool (however long you want) and sew through the balls and ‘feathers’.
The balls are optional, it will also look cool without them. The reason I used wool is that it grips the felt and you don’t have to tie knots to keep all the bits and bobs in shape. This means you can re-space everything when you’re done.