Let’s take a stroll down wardrobe lane, to a time before yoga pants.
A time that Doc boots, paired with rainbow socks, a bindi and fairy wings were the perfect music festival get-up. Everything that I wore in high school was directly inspired by one of these outfits here. And I mean EVERYTHING.
1) The seniors in Dazed and Confused. There are few outfits from this movie that don’t deserve to be on this list but I had to choose just one pic. The original Mean Girls knew how to do cutoffs and tube socks link no other. AIR RAID Bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) Joey Lauren Adams in Mallrats. Yes, I know we are only two pictures in and Joey has featured in both but this quintessential 90’s icon knew how to rock the mum jeans and grunge-inspired bad girl attitude like no other. Even her three barrel name is 90’s perfection.
3) Thelma and Louise. Talking about mum jeans, can I get a hell yeah?
4) Winona and Christina in Mermaids. Just looking at this picture makes me want to sing into my hairbrush. The type of brush that folds in on itself then shuts like a flip phone. But more seriously, tied up shirt perfection.
5) The late-great Brittany Murphy in Clueless. She rocked the farmer clothes, she owned the makeover; I bought a button down skirt and woollen stockings. Tai forever.
6) Helena Bonham Carter in Fight Club. Representing the great unwashed like never before. “It’s a bridesmaid’s dress. Someone loved it intensely for one day, and then tossed it.”
7) Claire Danes in Romeo and Juliet. Her angel costume was the perfect mix of 90’s Lolita and vintage. And she got to pash Leo in it which made it the BEST DRESS EVER.
8) Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny. This classic just scraped into the 90’s and most of her (completely awesome) outfits could have been left in the 80’s but this New Yorker got-any-blacker getup was all sorts of perfection. Also, I had that camera.
9) Renee and Liv in Empire Records. You got one day, one outfit, make it count ladies. And they did. Plaid, pleats, knits, boots and clogs. Oh, and legs. Can’t forget to mention the legs.
10) Rosie Perez in White Men Can’t Jump. Oh Rosie… cut-offs, a body suit and long chain necklaces. Swoon. Not to mention the big buckle belt and rollerblades. Nailed it.
11) Angelina Jolie in Hackers. When she wasn’t rocking a Kimono or rash vest, her costumes were EVERYTHING I wanted in life. I cut off all my hair then painted my nails with Posca pens daily after seeing this movie.
12) Brittany again. Just because.
p.s. I think if I was to put together a ‘best 90’s movie soundtracks’ post then the list would be almost unchanged.